Just another UVU Blogs weblog
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Journal # 2

There’s a lot I’ve thought about over these chapters, and I’m not sure how to organize my thoughts. Firstly, I want to mention the concept of competence. This idea was first introduced to me when I called an intercultural consultant in the area to ask him if I could do an internship with him. He was unable to undertake me, but he did give me some advice. He told me if I want to work as an intercultural consultant, I need to get to the level of unconscious competence with Japanese culture. In some ways, I’m already there. I bow, I sense the atmosphere, I know how to eat. But in some ways, I’m so far off. Mostly, I’m not there with the language. If it’s an easy conversation, I can speak without thinking. But if it’s new vocabulary or something complicated, I stumble. I need more practice. 

In regards to Babakiueria, I feel that this film was brilliant in many ways. The satire was used perfectly to explore what it would be like to reverse the roles of racism. Of course, I had thought about this before. What if I, a white privileged American, was in the position of a minority? How would I feel? But watching it be played out in the film was eye-opening indeed. We had to laugh, but it was also disturbing to know that the Aboriginal genocide, the stolen generation, and other atrocities really happened not that long ago. This notion of colonialism and white man’s burden has always disturbed me. Why is our culture imposed upon theirs? What would the world be like if we had not destroyed so many ancient and beautiful cultures? One can only imagine, but sadly it is too late. I simply hope that we can try from here on to be more sensitive, engaging, and encouraging members of society rather than insisting that our way is the best. 

0 comments

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.